The Alzheimer’s Society is seeking volunteers in Fleet to help with the new Pop Up Group Befriending Service. This is a service dedicated to people with dementia to help reduce isolation and loneliness that can be felt.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Pop Up Group Befriending Service – a unique service tailored to meet the needs of people in the early stages of dementia, to support them to build long lasting social networks, access peer support and access the local community. Volunteers provide companionship and support to enable people with dementia to access this service and to build confidence to continue the activities independently at the end of the Pop Up activity period.
What will volunteers be doing?
- Meeting at various venues, such a coffee shop or pub, across Fleet area to engage in an activity as a group (a mix of people with dementia and other volunteers)
- Actively taking part in social and recreational activities such as walking, a coffee club, darts, snooker, pool, crib, afternoon tea, knit & natter or reading group
- Building trust and companionship and the confidence to continue the activity independently
- Completing weekly written group activity summary
- Attending training and development sessions
Pop up Befriending is an 8-week rolling programme of activities on Thursday mornings between 10am and 1pm, starting in January 2017. The activities will be placed in and around the Fleet area, both indoor and outdoor.
Interview and registration will be held on 17 November 2016 at Hart Voluntary Action, Volunteer Centre, First Floor, Hart Shopping Centre, Fleet. Induction training days are on 1 and 8 December 2016.
To find out more regarding this or other opportunities with Alzheimer’s Society, interested individuals can email email@example.com or ring me on 02392 892035.